Kregg vs. Craig

Fritz Juengling Friolly at AOL.COM
Sat Jul 20 04:58:11 UTC 2002

In a message dated 7/19/02 3:37:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU writes:

> <A HREF="mailto:GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU">GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU</A> writes:

> I think this one might be lexical. I'm pretty sure I have a lax vowel in
> Craig but definitely tense in 'vague' and 'Hague'.  Maybe Craig is
> influenced by Greg. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

When I was in grad school, I had two buddies named Greg, one from Indiana and
the other from Utah. Our prof was speaking to the Hoosier one day and called
him grEg which he corrected to Grayg, i.e. [gre:g]. The other Greg agreed
with that pronunciation. Both seemed a little put off with 'grEg.'  I have
always rhymed Greg, leg, egg, beg with Craig--with [e:] or even [ei],
definitely not [E].
Fritz
PS Is this another Oregon/Washington isogloss? :-)