Jinx

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Mon Jul 29 20:06:31 UTC 2002

>On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Dave Wilton wrote:
>
>#I also hadn't realized the Captain Jinks song was so well known. I'll have
>#to update my site to make explicit mention of it.
>
>I've been following this thread and forwarding parts of it to my wife.
>We've known Captain Jinks for many years, thanks to Laura Ingalls
>Wilder's "Little House" novels. (Don't speak to me about the TV
>version.)
>
>        I'm Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines
>        I feed my horse on corn and beans
>        I court the pretty girls in their teens
>        And I often live beyond my means
>        I'm captain in the Army!
>
>(from memory, from one of the books)
>
>-- Mark A. Mandel
~~~~~~~
We sang the version above when I was in grade school. But I find on my
bookshelf the version below.

>>From /Favorite Songs of the People/  songbook, copyright 1927 Theodore
Presser Co., Phila.:

I'm Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines;
I feed my horse on corn and beans,
And sport young ladies in their teens,
Tho'  captain in the army.
I teach young ladies how to dance, how to dance, how to dance
I teach young ladies how to dance, for I'm the pet of the army.

I joined my corps when twenty-one.
Of course I thought it capital fun.
When the enemy came, of course I run,
For I'm not cut out for the army.
When I left home, Mama she cried, Mama she cried, Mama she cried.
When I left home, Mama she cried, He's not cut out for the army.

A. Murie