Coffee Shop (1831) and Turkish Sayings

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jun 16 08:40:44 UTC 2002

CONSTANTINOPLE AND ITS ENVIRONS.
IN A SERIES OF LETTERS, EXHIBITING THE ACTUAL STATE OF THE MANNERS, CUSTOMS,
AND HABITS OF THE TURKS, ARMENIANS, JEWS, AND GREEKS, AS MODIFIED BY THE
POLICY OF SULTAN MAHMOUD
by An American
(Commodore David Porter--ed.)
in two volumes
New-York: Harper & Brothers
1835

   I went through this book quickly and didn't see "Turkish Delight."
However, there were two nice pages of "Turkish sayings" that perhaps are of
interest to Fred Shapiro--and are perhaps not Turkish?

VOLUME ONE
Pg. 65 (Nov. 7, 1831):  On arriving at the summit you find, as you find in
every pleasant place, a coffee shop, a kiosk, rather small, but very neat,
belonging to the Grand Seignor, a small mosque, and you discover one of the
finest views in the world.
(OED has 1838 for "coffee shop," from Dickens.  Merriam-Webster has 1836 for
"coffee shop"--ed.)

Pg. 65:  ...they call it spending a day of _keff_, that is, a jollification.
("Keff" is here many times, but there is no OED hit--ed.)

Pg. 76:  I have, God knows, (Pg. 77--ed.) diplomancy enough around and about
me--ceremonious visits to receive and return with the minister, more than I
can "shake a stick at," but what are they compared to a single friend, a
glass, and a cigar.
(OED has 1818, then 1843 for "shake a stick at"--ed.)

Pg. 102:  ..._Bacsth Tasch_...
(The way this book spells "backshish"--ed.)

Pg. 124:  ...kabobs (lumps of mutton)...

Pg. 160:  P. S.  I cannot conclude, without giving you a few Turkish sayings:
   "Love those who love you even if they are poor, but do not love him who
does not love you, even were it the king.
   "He who loves me I am his slave, and he who hates me, I would wish to be
his sovereign.
   "In saying honey! honey! the mouth cannot be sweetened.
   "The fruit tree is always liable to be stoned.
   "Associate (or be friends) with the devil, until you are safe over the
bridge.
   "There is no rose without thorns.
   "A little fowl is always a chicken.
   "Love and a cough cannot remain long undiscovered.
(This is an exact quotation of George Herbert.  He was Turkish?-ed.)
   "With patience ver-juice becomes sweet, and the leaves of the mulberry
become silk.
   "He who watches the kettle, will, without doubt, have a part of the soup.
(Pg. 161--ed.)
   "Every pleasure has its pain, every tear has its smile.
   "After the overturn of your coach, there are multitudes ready to point out
a better road.
   "Sweet words draw serpents from their nests, and bad language destroys
confidence.
   "Beauty is not _itself_ beauty--beauty is that which pleases _you_.
   "The man in love with himself, thinks the rest of the world blind.
   "Love is a torture that is only known to those who have felt it.
   "The man who keeps his face to the ground, can never have his nose pulled.
   "The gout and religion, are two things which do not admit of dispute.
   "He who falls on purpose should never cry.
   "If you are polite, you will permit the rose to shed its odours, if rude
and rustic, you will enter the garden to destroy it.
   "Beware of the crow lest he pick your eyes out.
   "Pay no attention to the tears of sore eyes.
   "It is a shame to those who ask, but a double shame to those who refuse.
   "He who gives too much, gives for ostentation, he who gives little, gives
it from the heart.
   "However much you may desire to succeed in an affair, no more can be done
than is destined.
   "A witty enemy is preferable to a foolish friend."

Pg. 274:  They act up to the Spanish proverb that, "by gaining time,
something is gained."

Pgg. 277:  Fourthly, a vessel containing _Kaimar_, heretofore described.
(...)  The bread was the vehicle which conveyed the _kaimac_ to the mouth,
and the fingers those of the salad, fritters, &c.
("Kaimar" and "kaimac" are not in the OED?--ed.)

VOLUME TWO
Pg. 12:  It is not usual for them to take off their "yackmacks"...
(OED has 1844 for "yashmack"--ed.)

Pg. 59:  They are, when done, served up in their own gravy, or in _kaymar_,
which is cream.  There is also served up with them, a soft, flat kind of
bread, or pancake, which, as no knives or forks are made use of, suits
admirably as a means of conveying the _kibabs_ and the _kaymar_ to the mouth,
whence they soon find their way into the stomach.  The bread is called _Firna
Pidese_.
(OED doesn't have "kaymar" or "Firna Pidese," either--ed.)