Off Off Topic

Thomas Paikeday t.paikeday at SYMPATICO.CA
Tue Jun 25 11:28:20 UTC 2002

Hi Larry,

>From my "card" in preparation:

Address:

83 Sunny Meadow Blvd.
Brampton, Ontario, Canada L6R 1Z3

Phone: 905-790-7076; fax: 905-790-9168

Thanks for the Sophia Linguistica article or the Stanford version,
whichever is easier to dig.

Vagina v. Vulva was tried by mail, distributed to about 20 scholars
(including Dr. Rheinhold Aman), and finally published in a popular
version by COPY EDITOR, Oct.-Nov. 1998, thanks to DSNA member Mary Beth
Protomastro. (AS wouldn't publish it even in a "dehumorized" version, as
Bob Wachal put it). There were strong reactions to the CE article from
some feminists, one calling the lexicographer a pornographer. (I checked
with an attorney in Maryland, but decided not to be bothered, since I
was in the company of OED's Edmund Weiner and Prof. Wachal of Iowa. Both
Weiner and Wachal raise the question of "the unfortunate dearth of humor
in academic publishing." I am waiting for permission to publish their
comments on the website. I will mail you a copy of the CE article - not
good enough for my website!

Thanks for the interest.

TOM.