Off Off Topic

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 25 17:15:01 UTC 2002

At 7:28 AM -0400 6/25/02, Thomas Paikeday wrote:
>Hi Larry,
>
>>>From my "card" in preparation:
>
>Address:
>
>83 Sunny Meadow Blvd.
>Brampton, Ontario, Canada L6R 1Z3
>
>Phone: 905-790-7076; fax: 905-790-9168
>
>Thanks for the Sophia Linguistica article or the Stanford version,
>whichever is easier to dig.

Sure.  The Stanford one is just transparencies, so the Japanese one
it will have to be.

>Vagina v. Vulva was tried by mail, distributed to about 20 scholars
>(including Dr. Rheinhold Aman), and finally published in a popular
>version by COPY EDITOR, Oct.-Nov. 1998, thanks to DSNA member Mary Beth
>Protomastro. (AS wouldn't publish it even in a "dehumorized" version, as
>Bob Wachal put it). There were strong reactions to the CE article from
>some feminists, one calling the lexicographer a pornographer. (I checked
>with an attorney in Maryland, but decided not to be bothered, since I
>was in the company of OED's Edmund Weiner and Prof. Wachal of Iowa. Both
>Weiner and Wachal raise the question of "the unfortunate dearth of humor
>in academic publishing." I am waiting for permission to publish their
>comments on the website. I will mail you a copy of the CE article - not
>good enough for my website!
>
>Thanks for the interest.
>
>TOM.

That would be great.  In exchange, I'll enclose a copy of a somewhat
risque paper of my own from a few years back.  I'll have to mail them
to you on Monday, though; I'm about to go in for a five day
chemotherapy session.

larry