booty call

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Wed Mar 6 20:47:37 UTC 2002

--On Wednesday, March 6, 2002 11:46 am -0800 Indigo Som <indigo at WELL.COM>
wrote:

> Have we talked about "booty call" on this list? I first heard it just a
> few months ago, then immediately saw it *everywhere*, & realized I had
> been way out of the loop. But the question is: how long has booty call
> been around & where did it come from?  (or: how out of it am I!?)

Well there was a 1997 movie by that name
(http://us.imdb.com/Title?0118750), but I didn't see it and am not sure if
the current sense of 'booty call' (taking a trip for a sexual rendez-vous)
was used there.

A recent example:

http://www.nerve.com/personals/emlo/02_21_02/
Dear Em & Lo,
By the time you respond to this question, it may be too late to help me,
but I'm sure there are other perverts out there who are wrestling with this
very issue, namely: How does one discreetly pack sex toys and BDSM
paraphernalia for air travel? I'm going on a booty call and I'm packing a
modest selection of essentials, but I really don't want to have a security
person taking out each item and examining them in front of the general
public.

(If you want the answer to the query, you'll just have to follow the link.)

Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
Acting Director, MA in Applied Linguistics
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH
UK

phone +44-(0)1273-678844