Baker, Shapiro in Safire's column; ADS-L problems

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 9 07:08:44 UTC 2002

BAKER, SHAPIRO IN SAFIRE'S COLUMN

   Fred Shapiro and John Baker are in William Safire's New York Times column this Sunday for their work on "collateral damage."  The ADS is mentioned.
   The lead for the column is "regime change," and it's traced to a 1980 A.P. news story on Nexis.  This is incredibly sloppy.  Fred Shapiro could easily
have been given credit again, because "regime change" is in JSTOR before 1980.
   Also, there is A STOCHASTIC MODEL OF REGIME CHANGE IN LATIN AMERICA (Arlington, VA: Center for Naval Analyses, 1975) by Michael L. Sauirere.
   Also, THE BREAK-UP OF THE UNITED KINGDOM: THE IRISH EXPERIENCE OF REGIME
CHANGE, 1918-1949 (1978) by Peter Mair.
   Also, SOUTH AFRICAN REGIONAL HEGEMONY AND THE RHODESIAN NEXUS: IMPLICATION
FOR REGIME CHANGE IN ZIMBABWE (1978), a paper by Barry M. Schutz.
   And--aw, I'm banned from his column, I'm banned from letters to the editor, and I'm banned from corrections.  That's enough.

ADS-L PROBLEMS

   My ADS-L posts, too, have been re-appearing about four days later in my daily mail.  Now some other posts have re-appeared that I'm sure I already read.  Something's definitely wrong.
   The message below, for example, was received again just this hour.