Japan's Fine Cookery (1896)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 10 01:34:02 UTC 2002

   This is an excellent article, useful for "matsutake" (OED 1915), "yakitori" (OED 1962), perhaps "teriyaki" (OED 1962--same book!), "soba" (OED 1896) and more.
   From the NEW YORK TIMES, 30 January 1896, pg. 16, col. 1:

_JAPAN'S FINE COOKERY_
_How "an Honorable Dinner" is_
   _Prepared and Served._
_TWENTY-TWO COURSESS REQUIRED._
_Club of Japanese Young Men in _
   _Brooklyn--Raw Fish and Rice_
   _Wine as Delicacies--Tea_
   _Making a Fine Art._

(...)
   This is a bill of fare of an honorable dinner as Mr. Shikato gives it in Japanese:
1.  Kobuta mono.
2.  Onsake.
3.  Tai no yoke Sakana.
4.  Tauru no yakitori.
5.  Tauru no Sui mono.
6.  Gan no Nimono.
7.  Awobi mucigal Sunomono.
8.  Maki Tamago.
9.  Sashimi.
10.  Yaki matsutake.
11.  Gozen.
12.  Shirn.
13.  Ohira Canton Roshidaka.
14.  Okashira Lara.
15.  Fuzara Chawan.
16.  Teregoki.
17.  Ruchitori.
18.  Uzura yoki tori.
19.  Roco.
20.  Suashi.
21.  Cha.
22.  Mizucashi.
(...)
   "Then there are many kinds of fish and of birds, some baked and some boiled--roast pigeons, ducks, chickens, and geese, salmon and flounder; all arranged and separated in a very beautiful way on a great wooden platter." (...)
   "Second in the dinner comes the onsake, or rice wine." (...)
3.  Baked red snapper.
4.  Equivalent for the American turkey.  This is a large bird, with long legs.  It is very expensive, and is always to be found in the honorable dinner.  It is broiled.
5.  A dish similar to American soup.
6.  Boiled wild geese.
7.  Shellfish salad of sour greens.
8.  Eggs baked and rolled like omelette, but very different.
9.  Fish roe.
10.  Large mushrooms.
11.  Bean soup, or something like it.
12.  Boiled rice.
13.  (1) Balls of fish, eight vegetables, with bird's nest inside; (2) jellied chicken; (3) vegetables.
14.  Baked fish.
15.  Sour salad; bouillon.
16.  Broiled fish.
17.  Birds and sweet beans boiled; with Japanese sauce and different things.
18.  Broiled quails.
19.  Pickles.
20.  Cake.
21.  Tea.
22.  Fresh fruits.
(...)
   "'Soba' macaroni or vermicelli, we cook differently.  We make it ourselves.  It is the Japanese macaroni, and very different from the Italian."