Two questions

Duane Campbell dcamp911 at JUNO.COM
Mon Mar 11 00:19:30 UTC 2002

First, the word "dutchy" (presumably from Pennsylvania Dutch, i.e.,
German) is used in my family to describe a child who has not yet mastered
English construction or who may be a bit slow. I suspect it may be
regional, but I can't recall hearing it outside the family. Does this
word have any legs?

Second, my great-grandfather is described as speaking with a heavy German
accent. I have finally found his lineage and learned that he was fourth
generation in this country, the family having lived in Bucks County,
Pennsylvania. My understanding is that the Pennsylvania Deutch colonies
were well west of Philadelphia, and though there certainly may have been
people of PA Dutch decent elsewhere, it would seem to me that they would
have lost the speech. Are there any historians of this dialect who might
know to what extent it might have existed in Bucks County in the 19th
Century?