regional food names, not always accurate was: regional food

Dan Goodman dsgood at VISI.COM
Thu Mar 28 05:24:58 UTC 2002

> Date:    Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:46:43 -0500
> From:    Barnhart <ADS-L at HIGHLANDS.COM>
> Subject: regional food
>
> I've been looking through sources (mostly dictionaries and cookbooks)
> for food terms that have arisen in American (including Canadian)
> culture.  Printed sources, especially dictionaries, have limitations,
> however, where terms of recent origin are concerned.  Perhaps the
> listers would take a moment and forward to me (or to the list) terms
> for food items, processes, or implements that have arisen in the last
> 20 years.  It doesn't matter if they are regional or national;
> however, it would be interesting to have terms that incorporate place
> names, such as: Buffalo wings, Vermonster, and California roll, etc.

Texas Style Hawaian Bread -- baked in Chicago, if I recall correctly

Golooney's East Coast Pizza; so far as I know, this exists only in
the Twin Cities.

Original Old New York Seltzer -- bottled in California.

Continuing with older ones: Siouix City Soda comes from New York
City.

Bubbie's of San Francisco (organically correct kosher pickles and
related stuff) is now just Bubbie's.  It comes from Canada.