Schnapps?; Drosky (1805)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 31 01:27:20 UTC 2002

A NOTHERN SUMMER;
TRAVELS ROUND THE BALTIC THROUGH DENMARK, SWEDEN, RUSSIA, PRUSSIA, AND PART OF GERMANY, IN THE YEAR 1804
by John Carr
Philadelphia: Samuel F. Bradford
1805

Pg. 13:
   Two or three times in the course of each post, our driver begged to have a little snap money.  Snaps is one of the earliest and most frequent words which a traveller will pick up in Denmark.  In plain English it signifies a refreshing glass of spirits.  We always found our account in granting the request.
(OED has 1818 for "schnapps"--ed.)

Pg. 126:
   ...a droska, or, as they are called in Russ, a drojeka, an open carriage, mounted upon springs, and four little wheels, formed for holding two persons, who sit sideways, with their backs towards each other, upon a stuffed seat, frequently of satin...
(OED has 1808 for "droshky"/"drosky"--ed.)

Pg. 162:
   ...golden rule..."take care of the _copees_, and the _rubles_ will take care of themselves"...