3 new (?) words

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 31 04:22:03 UTC 2002

>From a Wall Street Journal from sometime this week (I failed to note the date)
"the Volckerization of Andersen".  While we're at it, an acknowledged
left-wing columnist referred to "the Enronization of American politics" but
someone on the ADS-L list has undoubtedly caught this neolog before now.

An article on the recent rise of cigarette taxes in New Jersey referred to
cigarette smuggling as "buttlegging".  This one is so obvious that it can't
be brand new, but I never heard it before.  Cigarette smuggling (that is,
bringing cigarettes from a state with low state taxes on cigarettes into one
with high taxes) has been around for years---I had my car searched by the New
Jersey State Police back in December 1973 on suspicion of cigarette smuggling.

I had never before seen "DOS" (meaning MS-DOS) used as a verb, but on a
technical mailing list this week I saw "your file had been dossed."  What
happens is that MS-DOS (and WINDOWS) use a different convention for ending
each record of a file than do the various flavors of UNIX.  Actually I think
the writer misused the term, as it implies that the file was CONVERTED to DOS
format, and apparently he meant to say that the file had been CREATED in DOS
format and never converted to UNIX format.

(The Germans made a film on how to bring up a PC.  It was entitled "DOS
Boot").

     - Jim Landau