"spend a penny"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue May 14 01:03:35 UTC 2002

   This usual British expression (but unusual American one) once led
to the following humorous situation, which I read in a newspaper a
few years ago (Wall Street Journal?):  An American giving a business
seminar in England to a British audience said in the middle of his
talk that "You have to spend a penny to make a penny" and was
surprised when the audience laughed at this advice.

Gerald Cohen