doctorate

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu May 16 00:45:35 UTC 2002

I don't know if the production Jim stage-handed for was particularly
unimaginative, but I've seen several productions of The Crucible as
well as reading it, and I would beg to differ with the
characterization of it as a polemic.  While it is indeed politically
engaged, it's essentially a human drama with (potentially) wonderful
scenes and confrontations between real people--not just ideas--and
while of course you're right in saying that Miller was inspired by
the connection with the McCarthy trials, it can be understood and
enjoyed by audiences unaware of the allusion, which would certainly
not be the case if it were a simple polemic.

LH