Blue Man; More Azeri Food

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat May 18 19:55:07 UTC 2002

   Greetings from Tblisi, Georgia.
   Last night, there was no internet in my caravanserai in Sheki, Azerbaijan.  Actually, there was no electricity, either.
   Azerbaijan is a country that has lots of oil and gas.  Sheki is a country town with high unemployment since its silk factory closed.  I asked my tour guide a stupid question:  How can an oil and gas country not provide electricity to its citizens?  Has the boom done anything for a town like Sheki?  Touring the falling-apart elementary school was depressing.  My tour guide informed me that the Azeri president is a rich man, and there has been some corruption.  It makes you both sad and angry.
   I attended a "Georgian table" today.  Our toastmaster gave toasts to health, happiness, women, children, our meal providers, the musicians, the bus driver...

BLUE MAN:  From AZERBAIJAN (2001) by Mark Elliott, pg. 49:  "Blue man" is a pejorative term for "gay" so wearing your favourite old Blues Brothers T shirt might be misconstrued!
(I was told that this comes from "blue boy," and it's used in Russia as well--ed.)

LA CUISINE AZERBAIDJANAISE
Intourist
1989

   I picked this up at Sheki.  It's about 60 pages, without page numbers.  It was available only in French.

   SOUPES
DUCHBARA
DOVGA
KUFTA-BOZBACH
SOUPE PITI
KAOURMA-BOZBACH
KHAMRACHI (soupe aux haricots et aux nouilles)
SOULOU-KHINGAL
CHORBA AU POULET
   KEBABS
CHACHLIK D'ESTURGEON
GRILLAGE A L'AZERBAIDJANAISE
LIOULA-KEBAB
CHACHLIK DE MOUTON
   PILAFS
PILAF SABZA-KAOURMA
PILAF CHIRIN
PILAF TOYOUG
PILAF GUIIMIA
PILAF PARTCHA-DOCHAMIA
   DOLMA
KIALIAM-DOLMASSY (feuilles de choux farcies)
YARPAG-DOLMASSY (feuilles de vigne farcies)
   KOUTABS
KOUTABS A LA VIANDE
KOUTABS AU LEGUMES
KOUTABS DE PLANTES SAUVAGES