Night before Halloween

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Nov 2 04:10:06 UTC 2002

>>Devil's Night. Used to be a night in Detroit, and to a lesser extent in
>>Flint, where arsonists would set buildings on fire in droves.
>
>In Detroit (city) ca. 1960, "Devil's Night" ... was ... a time for pranks
>or tricks ....

I inquired among some young[er] Pittsburghers. An authority who is enrolled
at the local middle school informs me that the night in question is called
"Devil's night" and is considered appropriate for window-soaping,
toilet-papering, etc. ... about the same as I remember it from Detroit ca.
1960. No arson is implied, I am told.

-- Doug Wilson