phrases whose literal meaning...

Mon Nov 4 12:42:13 UTC 2002

Of course one may break down the functions of indirect speech acts
further, but I don't see how this makes them any less indirect. The
fact that they carry social or interactional meaning (rather more
directly than some other sentences) is undoubtedly the case, but I
wouldn't want to mislead someone who asked about "noinliteral" speech
by saying that the linguist's word for such things was the
Malinowskian label. This brings us (dangerously) close to the
discussion of "convention," speech act territory where we would
surely not want to go in our initial response to this request for a
label. I go there anyhow:

Non-conventional indirectness:
A: It's cold in here.
B: (Hmmmmmmmm. Why is A informing me (as the statement form of her
sentence suggests) about the temperature in my room. Let's see. Oh,
she might be cold, and, since it's my room and she doesn't want to
seem presumptuous, I bet she wants me to close the window, but, since
she doesn't want to seem rude or demanding she didn;t say "Close the
window you bozo"). Oh! Are you cold? Here, let me close the window.

Conventional indirectness:
A: How's it going?
B: Surely B does not reason as follows: (Hmmmmmm. What is 'it.' Where
could 'it' be going? What the !~@#$%^&*()_+ is A talking about.)
Instead he just says "Fine."

Notice that you have to "know" the language to get the conventional
indirectness, but you can "figure out" the indirectness in the first
example (in a language you spoke badly). I dare not suggest that the
line between the two is fixed, if for no other reason than the fact
that conventions must be established, and, while they are on their
way, they may exist is a muddy middle ground.

dInIs

But aren't "How do you do?" and its even more truncated for "Howdy" examples
of something even further removed from intent than an indirect speech act?
These sound rather more like instances of what Malinowski called phatic
communion, where it's the verbal social interaction that's important not the
communication of intent.

Herb

--
Dennis R. Preston