Cotton Candy (1905)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Nov 5 16:07:15 UTC 2002

COTTON CANDY

   OED & M-W have 1926.  I'd posted only a touch earlier.  From the American
Periodical Series online.

   21 January 1905, SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN, pg. 47:
Inquiry No. 6401.  For manufacture of the electric candy machine known as
:Fairy Floss" or "Cotton Candy."

   14 October 1905, SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN, pg. 310:
Ad for "Cotton Candy Machine Co."

there's an early "martini" there?
   The American Periodical Series online looks like it's far from complete.
Some of the NATIONAL POLICE GAZETTE items are mis-dated (1804?).  PUCK is not
there at all.  More will probably be added in a few months.  PUCK, for
example, probably will have "raspberry/razzberry."

THE REAL McCOY--From the boxer Kid McCoy?  I was surprised when the NATIONAL
POLICE GAZETTE--a leading boxing magazine--didn't have anything.  The first
cite here?  How about December 1933, in H. T. Webster's famous FORUM &
CENTURY article on "Slanguage."

I'M FROM MISSOURI, SHOW ME--Nothing earlier than what I'd found.
    21 April 1900, A JOURNAL OF OUTDOOR LIFE, TRAVEL, NATURE STUDY, SHOOTING,
FISHING, YACHTING, pg. 309:
    There is an old saying about the man from Missouri, who said: "It may be
so, but you've got to show me."

TUNA--Lots of wonderful citations from nature/fishing publications, but all
cites are later than 1881.

CHILI CON CARNE--Nothing before 1857 (the book is cited several times).  I
typed in just "carne" and also "chile."

ENCHILADA--Nothing early here.

TACO--Nothing at all.  Hey, OUT WEST magazine!  "Taco," fer cryin' out loud!
THe full text LOS  ANGELES TIMES is my next best hope.

JAMBALAYA--The AMERICAN AGRICULTURALIST, May 1849, pg. 161, shows up in
citation form.  THis word is spelled in different ways, so I also searched
for good old "gumbo."

UNCLE SAM--First citation here is 1817.

GOTHAM--Lots of interesting publications here for Washington Irving to steal
the idea from, and he "borrowed" everything.
   Full text of much of the pre-1830 material is not available yet, although
citations are given.  For example, a search of "sell like hotcakes" turned up
the KNICKERBOCKER MAGAZINE.  Search capability isn't there yet (you have to
go to the microfilm reels with your cite), but I know that's our first hit
for "hotcakes."

THE BIG APPLE--FWIW.
   June 1871, SCRIBNER'S MONTHLY, pg. 307:
   The big apple, the topmost cake, always belonged, I thought, to my
neighbor--who ever manifested a similar conviction.

O.T.  Not that it matters, but gotta go vote!...I hope David Shulman likes
these APS "Steve Brodie" cites.