N.Y.C. (1869)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 13 02:46:18 UTC 2002

   This continues a search for the first use of the initials "N.Y.C." for New York City.  It was usually "New York, New York."
   New York will thank me for this.  Nah, who am I kidding?
   Columbia University has this book that I just read on microfiche:

COMMEMORATIVE DISCOURSE.
SERMON
ON THE CHARACTER AND LABORS OF THE LATE
REV. JEREMIAH S. LORD, D. D.
Pastor of the Reformed Church, Harlem, New York City
PREACHED IN THE
HARLEM PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, N. Y. C.
April 18th, 1869
By E. H. GILLETT,
Pastor of the Harlem Presbyterian Church.
NEW YORK:
BOARD OF PUBLICATION OF REFORMED CHURCH IN AMERICA,
103 FULTON STREET
1869

   If that's not good enough for you, there are others that I _haven't_ looked at.  For example, there's this:

 Current database: WorldCat Total Libraries: 1

Libraries with Item: "NYC plantsman's ledger, 1..."( Record for Item )Location  Library  Code
NY NEW YORK BOTANICAL GARDEN LIBR  VXG

Record for Item: "NYC plantsman's ledger, 1..."( Libraries with Item )

Ownership: Check the catalogs in your library.
Libraries that Own Item: 1
Connect to the catalog at Columbia

External Links:

More Like This: Search for versions with same title and author | Advanced options ...
Title: NYC plantsman's ledger, 1793-1795
Author(s): Woodburn, Elisabeth. ; Fortieth anniversary catalog.
Year: 1793-1795
Language: English
Abstract: Contains ledger of anonymous plantsman in New York City covering dates Mar. 11, 1793 to May 26, 1796. On front and back cover: "Day book". Also contains Fortieth anniversary catalog : a tribute to American horticulture / Elisabeth Woodburn, from whom the ledger was purchased; description on p. 28-29.
 SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Ornamental plant industry -- New York (State) -- New York -- History -- 18th century -- Sources.
Gardening -- New York (State) -- New York -- History -- 18th century -- Sources.
Named Person: Long, Charles R. (Charles Robert), 1936-
Note(s): Title from spine of case./ Holograph./ "Given in memory of Charles R. Long, Librarian, New York Botanical Garden, 1972-1986"--Cover of case.
Class Descriptors: LC: SB443.35.N4
Other Titles: New York City plantsman's ledger, 1793-1795.
Document Type: Book
Entry: 20010727
Update: 20010730
Accession No: OCLC: 47661215