Awful Awful (Rhode Island Cuisine)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 13 07:37:36 UTC 2002

 Wednesday's NEW YORK TIMES has an article on Rhode Island cuisine.  It's a
nice little piece of regional cuisine, but hey, this stuff has been done
years ago.  You guys didn't exactly discover it.
      No mention was made of "Rhode Island clam chowder," one Rhody's older
regional dishes.
   I tried to look through the college humor magazine THE BROWN JUG, but
neither the LOC nor the NYPL had the issues I needed.  Although I posted the
earliest "cabinet," there probably were foods like that advertised in THE
BROWN JUG (1930s?).  I had planned on taking a short trip to Johnson & Wales
and Brown (both in Providence) during my extended break this month, before a
longer-trip Christmas in Kenya balloon safari and a New Year's in Zanzibar.

   In the meantime, here are the  U.S. Patent & Trademark Office records for
Awful Awful:

 Word Mark  AWFUL AWFUL

Goods and Services  IC 030. US 046. G & S: MIXED MILK DRINK CONTAINING CANE
SUGAR, WHOLE MILK, DEFATTED MILK, COCOA, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, ARTIFICAL FLAVOR
AND GELATINE. FIRST USE: 19390419. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19480331
Mark Drawing Code   (5) WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM
Serial Number   71558849
Filing Date June 10, 1948
Registration Number 0529783
Registration Date   August 29, 1950
Owner   (REGISTRANT) BOND'S ICE CREAM, INC. CORPORATION NEW JERSEY 564 VALLEY
ROAD UPPER MONTCLAIR NEW JERSEY(LAST LISTED OWNER) NEWPORT CREAMERY, INC.,
THE CORPORATION BY MERGER, BY ASSIGNMENT RHODE ISLAND 208 WEST MAIN ROAD
MIDDLETOWN RHODE ISLAND 02840

Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record  ELLIOT A. SALTER
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text  SECT 15. SECTION 8(10-YR) 20010217.
Renewal 3RD RENEWAL 20010217
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

---------------------
   Word Mark    AWFUL AWFUL

Goods and Services  IC 042. US 100. G & S: restaurant services. FIRST USE:
19930700. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19930700
Mark Drawing Code   (5) WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM
Serial Number   74557143
Filing Date August 4, 1994
Published for Opposition    June 13, 1995
Registration Number 1917014
Registration Date   September 5, 1995
Owner   (REGISTRANT) Newport Creamery, Inc. CORPORATION RHODE ISLAND 208 West
Main Road Middletown RHODE ISLAND 02840(LAST LISTED OWNER) NEWPORT CREAMERY,
LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY BY ASSIGNMENT RHODE ISLAND 35 SOCKANOSSET CROSS
ROAD CRANSTON RHODE ISLAND 02920

Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record  LEONARD B KATZMAN
Prior Registrations 0529783