"shyster" in American Periodical Series Online

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Fri Nov 15 22:30:40 UTC 2002

Barry,

   I don't understand this.  How can there be over 50 hits on
"shyster" before "my" first citation without any of them being for
"shyster"?
    Also (for ads-l), to give credit where credit is due, the earliest
two attestations of "shyster" (July 29, 1843, spelled "shyseter,"
"shiseter") and several later ones were spotted not by me but by
Roger Mohovich (pronounced Muh-HOH-vich), former librarian at the New
York Historical Society. I presented them in my first monograph on
"shyster," with full acknowledgment to Mohovich for his discovery.

Jerry