"Upset" & other nomenological phenomena

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 24 00:12:06 UTC 2002

In a message dated 11/20/2002 12:33:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JMB at STRADLEY.COM writes:

> I had a college professor who had a related theory, that women choose their
> husbands on the basis of what their married name would be

Not just your professor.  There is a 3-act stage play, "Luann Hamptom Laverty
Oberlander" based on this theme.  It is part of the "Texas Trilogy" by
Preston Jones and opened on Broadway Sep 21, 1976.

By the way, I once heard of a practical use for that title.  At a party where
charades were being performed, there was one man who boasted of his skill at
charades.  He looked at the slip telling him what his charade was to be,
found it was "Luann Hamptom Laverty Oberlander", and didn't even try.

       - Jim Landau