Refried Beans (1954) and Pinto Beans (1916)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 17 23:08:27 UTC 2002

REFRIED BEANS--DARE has 1957.  This will be utterly destroyed by the online LOS ANGELES TIMES, but from the NEW YORK TIMES, 30 January 1954, pg. 14:
   Another version--and the one we preferred--is the old-fashioned bean taco.  This is made with frijoles refritos or Mexican refried beans, and a little grated cheese.

PINTO BEANS--Probably the online LOS ANGELES TIMES will have a New Mexico article to beat this as well.  In the meantime, DARE has 1916.  I'm going to a fancy dinner at Koronet Pizza right now, but gimme a few hours.