wash cloth to worsh rag

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Sat Nov 30 15:35:25 UTC 2002

Same here in southeastern Ohio--but I've always considered British 'hot' to
have not the full open /o/ (which I as a Minnesotan of a certain age still
have in 'caught') but instead the "inverted script a" you describe.  In
fact, 'cot' and 'caught' do merge here in SE Ohio (as they do in western
PA), but at that intermediate inverted script a point.  In central Ohio
they merge at low back unrounded /a/ (I can't do the script /a/ on the
computer).

BTW, in Minnesota in my youth, and perhaps elsewhere as well, "wash rag"
was the commoners' term (and in my home), while "wash cloth" was city
folks' term.