wash cloth to worsh rag

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Sat Nov 30 22:48:43 UTC 2002

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Beverly Flanigan wrote:

#Same here in southeastern Ohio--but I've always considered British 'hot' to
#have not the full open /o/ (which I as a Minnesotan of a certain age still
#have in 'caught') but instead the "inverted script a" you describe.  In
#fact, 'cot' and 'caught' do merge here in SE Ohio (as they do in western
#PA), but at that intermediate inverted script a point.  In central Ohio
#they merge at low back unrounded /a/ (I can't do the script /a/ on the
#computer).

"<<intermediate>> inverted script a"?

As I read your post, it looks to me as if you are saying that "open /o/"
-- by which I understand the IPA turned-c, a low-mid back rounded vowel
-- is lower than "inverted script a" -- low back rounded vowel. And
that's backwards. Or I've forgotten all the IPA I ever knew. And that's
scary.

Am I misunderstanding your post?

-- Mark A. Mandel