Bad TV dialects

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Oct 3 08:38:02 UTC 2002

Fritz J commented:

I hardly think of Clark Gable representing a southern dialect, even in Gone
with the Wind.  (I thought he was from Ohio).  I think most people can
recognize at least the difference between Jimmy Carter and Elvis.

<<

I highly doubt that a majority of Americans can tell the diff between Carter
and Elvis.  They might be able to tell that they are both "Southern".
Maybe.

This is an opinion, but it is why I say (as I did recently here) that it's
linguists who are abnormal.  OK, unusual.

Frank Abate