Capuccino (1896); Zucchino (1899); Alfred's Fettucine (1928); Pizzeria (1925)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Oct 12 19:56:53 UTC 2002

At 3:48 PM -0400 10/12/02, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>PANINO
>
>ITALY--HANDBOOK FOR TRAVELLERS
>by Karl Baedeker
>Northern Italy
>Leizig: Karl Baedker, Publisher
>1913
>
>Pg. XXVI:
>Roll (_panino_)5, with butter (_pane e burro_) 20 c.
>
>(One NYC deli/restaurant is now serving "panini" sandwiches and has
>"New!" on its window ad--ed.)

I'm sure panini are a lot older than NYC restaurateurs want us to
believe, but this 1913 entry doesn't really serve as an antedate.
While the term is derived as a diminutive of "pane", the current
application to a grilled sandwich with various meats and cheeses
inside doesn't apply to a small roll with or without butter.  It's
really a different beast entirely, as I'm sure the NYC deli owner
would be happy to elaborate (along with his/her reason for charging
you a lot more than the equivalent of 1/20th of a lira for it)

Larry