Irish Stew (1800); Soup Kitchen (1831); Noodles (1770); Pins & Needles (1727)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 14 00:59:33 UTC 2002

   I searched for "fish and chips" in the BRITISH AND IRISH WOMEN'S LETTERS AND DIARIES database.  There was no hit!
   There are still some gems to be found.  The database is NOT available in the NYPL (which has the companion NORTH AMERICAN WOMEN'S LETTERS AND DIARIES database), but it's here at NYU.

IRISH STEW

   OED has 1814 for "Irish stew."  It's on the database, DIARY OF MELESINO CHENEVIX ST. GEORGE TRENCH, October 1800, pg. 112:

   Lady Hamilton began bawling for an Irish stew, and her old mother set about washing the potatoes, which she did as cleverly as possible.

SOUP KITCHEN

   OED has 1839 for "soup kitchen."  It's on the database, DIARY OF LADY SYDNEY OWENSON MORGAN, October 1831, pg. 326:

   ...he kept crying, "Why don't you eat; pray eat," as if he was feeding the poor Irish at a soup kitchen.

NOODLES

   OED has the same citation as this database for "A noodle soup--this I begged to be explained, & was told it was made only of veal with lumps of bread boiled in it."
   It's here as DIARY OF LADY MARY CAMPBELL COKE, June 1770.
   OED has 1779?

PINS AND NEEDLES

   The first citation is LETTER FROM LADY MARY PIERREPONT WORTLEY MONTAGU TO FRANCES PIERREPONT, 1727, pg. 188:

   These are my present endeavours, and I run about, though I have five thousand pins and needles running into my heart.