valley talk

David Bergdahl bergdahl at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Thu Oct 17 12:54:49 UTC 2002

Today's NY Times has a column with the paragraph "The valley's 1.3 million residents, half of them Hispanic, are a third of L.A.'s population, covering more than half the sprawling city's territory. They have their anthem (Gene Autry's "I'm gonna settle down and never more roam, and make the San Fernando Valley my home"). For a generation, "valley girls" have had their own dialect, leading the nation's teenagers into punctuating their every phrase with the interjection of hesitation ? like ? and permeating America's airwaves with the exclamation Omigod!"

Is there any support for the connection between "valley talk" and Spanish this paragraph hints at?