-nazi (was Re: Smoke Nazi...)

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Sun Oct 20 23:22:17 UTC 2002

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

#SMOKE NAZI--The title of an editorial in Saturday's NEW YORK TIMES.
#"--Nazi" is not new, but "Smoke Nazi" might gain some frequency in NYC
#now.

On the newsgroup rec.music.filk, which I participate in, people often
post new lyrics to existing tunes. The original tune is often referenced
with the abbreviation "ttto" = "to the tune of". Often, however, they
don't bother to name the original tune, assuming it's obvious, or saying
"to the obvious tune". Many times it's nothing like obvious, and
sometimes the poster is surprised at the number of people saying so.

I am rather fussy about explicit "ttto..."; I have written a song about
it (http://world.std.com/~mam/filks/TTTOWhat.html) and will often
follow-up to a ttto-less lyric with the name of what I think is the
tune, generally trying to avoid rudeness. Just the other day a friend
posted a ttto-less lyric and I followed up approximately as follows:

> Ttto...?
>
> -- Mark Mandel, ttto-nazi (but I really don't recognize it, and if I
>    knew the title I could look it up)

-- Mark A. Mandel