Sally Ann (Salvation Army, 1914-1918)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 21 05:43:40 UTC 2002

   Greetings from New York City.   AMERICAN SPEECH (Fall 2002) was in my
mail.
   There's a nice note on the origin of "Pie in the Sky" on pages 331-336,
although it strains to improve on Michael Quinion's fine January 2001 post in
WORLD WIDE WORLDS.   "Pie in the Sky" is mentioned in the Salvation Army hymn
"In the Sweet Bye and Bye" (1911).
   Note 10 states that "Sally Ann" is an informal British term for "Salvation
Army," and it's first cited in AMERICAN SPEECH (1927).
   We can do better than that.  Can anyone check this on TIMES (London) full
text?  Is that available yet?  The following was found on the web:

During the First World War (1914-18), the Canadian Salvation Army's overseas
activities were undertaken as part of the much larger effort organized by
British Salvationists. The affectionate nickname 'Sally Ann' and the familiar
Red Shield logo also date from this period.

Created: December 8, 2000. Last update: September 27, 2001
© Canadian War Museum   <A HREF="http://www.civilization.ca/import_e.html">Important Notices</A>