MMDDYY

Prof. R. Sussex sussex at UQ.EDU.AU
Fri Sep 13 09:35:25 UTC 2002

I was initially thinking of computer use, hence MMDDYY. Speech
introduces other variables. In writing initial evidence from US
archives suggests a US preference for month-first at least as early
as Jefferson.

We Commonwealthers don't always say anything; we use all the formats
Fritz cites, and a few others besides, with greater or lesser
awareness of the implications (cultural, social, stylistic). But on
computers we are strictly DDMMYY.

The convention of writing the date at the head of a letter seems to
be not much older than the 19th century: I'd appreciate advice here
too if anyone knows.

Some Asian cultures prefer YYMMDD, which is a much better way if you
want to sort files by date of creation/name. For other culturally
very relative information see
        http://www.cicc.or.jp/english/hyoujyunka/databook/databook.pdf

Roly Sussex

###

>Do you mean in writing or speech or both?  Do you commonwealthers always say
>"The 12th of September, 2002"?  "September 12th, 2002" sounds fine (if not
>easier and better) to me.  Maybe the N Am practice is based on what we say
>(assuming "September 12th, 2002" is more common)
>Fritz Juengling
>

>>  Does anyone know when and under what conditions the N. American
>>  practice of MMDDYY arose for dates? As far as I know the practice
>  > elsewhere is DDMMYY.
>  >
>  > Roly Sussex
>  >

Roly Sussex
Professor of Applied Language Studies
Department of French, German, Russian, Spanish and Applied Linguistics
School of Languages and Comparative Cultural Studies
The University of Queensland
Brisbane
Queensland 4072
AUSTRALIA