MMDDYY

bruce d. boling bboling at UNM.EDU
Fri Sep 13 14:04:00 UTC 2002

     As in other instances American usage here is archaic.  In preparation
for our book "Irish Immigrants in the Land of Canaan" (OUP, Dec. 2002),
covering the period 1687-1815, Prof. Kerby A. Miller (Univ. of
Missouri-Columbia) and I  have gathered and read several thousand personal
letters.  Neary without exception
these letters show the address of the writer and date at the beginning of
the letter and the sequence "month--day--year."   Only as the 19th century
progresses do we see the pattern "day--month--year" take hold; American
usage for the most part clings to the old pattern.  In the  early and
mid-17th century the address of the writer and date usually come at the end
of the letter and generally take  the  form "written at London the 27th day
of March 1615."

     A couple of examples taken from the letter collection (provincial
Irish usage does not differ from metropolitan Englisg usage):

        Balenloge  County west meath  may ye 4th 1700

        Drumgun   July 21th. [sic]  1736

        April 1 1798

        Aughintober  May 27th 1808

Bruce D. Boling
University of New Mexico
bboling at unm.edu

--On Friday, September 13, 2002 7:35 PM +1000 "Prof. R. Sussex"