Normal people vs. us; ugliness in Illinois

Sun Sep 15 12:34:38 UTC 2002

Salikoko,

This is the easiest question  ever asked on the ADS list. Linguists
(quite abnormally) do not believe that languages are fundamentally
exterior to human cognition. Our not holding that folk linguistic
belief in exteriority (from which nearly all prescriptive principles
emerge) is surely enough to make us abnormal (at least in the numbers
sense).

But I doubt if the manager of the apartment building in
Urbana-Champaign had that in mind.

dInIs

PS: Have we discussed the difficult-to-say (and certainly more
recent) "Urbana-Champaign" as opposed to the easily pronounced
"Champaign-Urbana")?  Both stress patterns (the more irregular xXxxX
versus the lovely xXxXx) and weight (two syllables before three
rather than three before two) militate against the ugly
"Urbana-Champaign."

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics