Normal people vs. us; ugliness in Illinois

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Sep 15 13:39:10 UTC 2002

>PS: Have we discussed the difficult-to-say (and certainly more
>recent) "Urbana-Champaign" as opposed to the easily pronounced
>"Champaign-Urbana")?  Both stress patterns (the more irregular xXxxX
>versus the lovely xXxXx) and weight (two syllables before three
>rather than three before two) militate against the ugly
>"Urbana-Champaign."

Both of these combinations were conventional when I lived there (early
1970's). But my favorite was the infrequently encountered but relatively
beautiful "Chambanana" (like "sham banana").

-- Doug Wilson