not just taboo avoidance

Sun Sep 22 12:31:03 UTC 2002

There is a wonderful book (of I think both serious and popular
interest) on how social factors have led to renaming. In the 90's,
Cesar Chavez Ave. was proposed by Lansing Elementary school kids
(since Lansing was one of the last places he visited before his death
and supports a sizable Mexican-American community). The proposal was
accepted, the kids congratulated for their civic efforts, and the
signs were put up.

A quick group was formed by those who felt their heritage had been
stolen from them (it was Grand Ave. before, and the Grands were
furious), and, disclaiming the pathetically transparent bias of the
drive, they succeeded in revoking the new-named in a public
referendum.

As they say, there are a million stories in the big city; this is
just one of them.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston