Sun-Dried Tomatoes (1985); Swedish Limpa (1941,1942)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Apr 4 03:57:49 UTC 2003

   "Limpa" is not in the OED.  I have to do something for the Swedes on the list.
   I've been seeing "sun-dried tomatoes" at salad bars and olive bars throughout the city.
   I'll find earlier dates for both.

SUN-DRIED TOMATOES

   7 July 1985, NEW YORK TIES, pg. WC17:
   Recomended dishes: Scottish soked salmon, imported buffalo mozzarella with sun dried tomatoes and fresh basil,...

   Some WorldCat titles:

Cooking with sun-dried tomatoes /
Author: Dribin, Lois, 1947-; Marina, Denise,
Publication: Tucson, Ariz. : Fisher Books, 1990
Document: English : Book

Sun-dried tomatoes! /
Author: Chesman, Andrea.
Publication: Freedom, Calif. : Crossing Press, 1990
Document: English : Book

Sun-dried tomatoes /
Author: Brennan, Ethel.; Brennan, Georgeanne,
Publication: San Francisco : Chronicle Books, 1995
Document: English : Book

Sun-dried tomatoes /
Author: Broderick, Orla.; Smith, Sharon.
Publication: Menlo Park, Calif. : Sunset Publishing Corp., 1994
Document: English : Book

SWEDISH LIMPA

   23 July 1941, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 13:
   Or you might try making a sandwich that is much favored in Sweden--lavish portions of medurst between two well-buttered man-sized pieces of limpa--wholewheat bread with caraway.

   23 December 1942, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 16:
   In the Swedish-American shops of the city the customary holiday specialties of the old country run the gamut from salt herring to saffron cofee cake, from vort limpa (an anise-flavored rye bread) to lutfisk (dried cod or haddock or such).