Seitan, a wheat-based meat substitute (1990)

Drew Danielson andrew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Fri Apr 4 18:43:57 UTC 2003

FWIW, seitan is mostly made of rendered wheat gluten (the gluten is the
important part as far as defining seitan - it's the protein from wheat
flour without much of the carbs or cellulose).  I first tried it in
about 1989.  Not a bad flavor (should be seasoned or served with other
foods, though), nice 'meaty' texture if it's blanched.