"ese" suffix insulting/racist?

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Tue Apr 8 16:06:46 UTC 2003

I agree, Larry, and Newport is the first one I've seen use "motherese"
too.  I think it was coined (by whoever) to avoid the ambiguity of "baby
talk"--the talk of mothers or the talk of babies?  In fact, a well-known
video on child language is titled "Baby Talk," suggesting the latter
interpretation.  But many, if not most, cultures have a "baby talk"
register used by adults to infants, so an unambiguous term was needed.  I
don't think it was meant to be jocular, but it was also not intended to be
a technical term but rather a loose configuration of simplified sounds,
words, and grammar (not to be confused with UNgrammatical speech though).