arnetted

Duane Campbell dcamp911 at JUNO.COM
Sun Apr 20 19:05:57 UTC 2003

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 10:22:57 -0700 mark worden

> Several recently published articles assert an incredible need for
> better
> information. In this context, Peter Arnett's name has given rise to
> a new
> verb. People will tell you that if anybody dares to tell the truth,
> he will
> be "Arnetted" -- fired, that is, as the journalist was from the NBC
> network
> for giving an honest interview to Iraqi television. --Mohamed Hakki

Interesting.

It brings up a question I have been mulling for a couple of weeks now,
ever since the claimed targeting of al Jazera (my spell checker is of no
help there). What is the difference between propoganda and journalism? A
propoganda operation is a legitimate war target, a journalist is not.
Well, usually not.

Certainly there is the I-know-it-when-I-see-it element, and the ends of
the continuum are pretty recognizable. But can a line be drawn? Is a
definition possible that separates them?