Egg Timer (1882) and American Periodical Series

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 27 14:12:57 UTC 2003

   OED has 1884 for "egg timer."  Again, some caution should be used, as the
product didn't always go by this name.

300 YEARS FO KITCHEN COLLECTIBLES
new and greatly expanded third edition
by Linda Campbell Franklin
Florence, Alabama: Books Americana
1991

Pg. 311:
V-5.
_Egg Timers._
At first glance, these appear identical.  Both are obviously plaid, probably
Mauchlin ware.  (L) Called an "egg glass," in "Scotch Wood," glass bulb.
>From 1870s-80s F. A. Walker catalog.

V-7.
_Egg timers._
Also called in latter years "telephone timers," to hang on kitchen wall.

V-9.
_Egg timer._
This was found in the 2/1882 _American Agriculturist_.  "A short while ago we
(the editor) visited Messrs. Baldwin & Co., Murray Street (NYC), for
novelties.  Among other things...is the Signal Egg-timer.  In this the
sand-glass is suspended in a frame;...and when sufficient sand has run into
the lower part of the glass, its weight turns the glass and the hammer, shown
at the top, falls down and strikes the bell below, informing the cook that
the time is up.  Below is a wedge-shaped counterpoise; by moving this, the
alarm will be given at the end of two, three, or four minutes."
   _$45.00-$65.00_

AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES--The AMERICAN AGRICULTURIST is in the AMERICAN
PERIODICAL SERIES, but I didn't see this citation.  Why?  ProQuest hasn't
finished APS ONLINE, that's why.  In the six months since I've been using it,
I haven't noticed many additions.  Still no PUCK.  Still no SPIRIT OF THE
TIMES.  Tremendous, essential American periodicals of the nineteenth century.
 An invaluable record of American fruits and vegetables.
   So, a few weeks ago, I e-mailed ProQuest, telling them how wonderful the
product is, and asking when it would be finished.  The question was not a
stumper.  No one has replied.