Ever say "Hi?"

Dale Coye Dalecoye at AOL.COM
Sat Aug 2 14:33:14 UTC 2003

I would say in my experience in NY State and NJ "hello" is almost never used
except in a formal situation, like being introduced to an older person for the
first time.  If I were being introduced to someone in my own generation or
younger I'd always say "hi".  Also "hi" would would be used to greet students.
"Hey" for me gets more informal still.  Hello is of course still the
telephone what you say when you pick up the phone.

Maybe it can be equated with the way you refer to the name of the person
involved?

Hello, Mr. Johnson---formal, you don't know the person that well--first
meeting.
Hi, Dave.    You're a co-worker, see that person a lot, you're friends.
Hey, Davey-boy!  or Hey, man!  -- you are intimate friends.

Dale Coye
The College of NJ