Ever say "Hi?"

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Sat Aug 2 14:27:32 UTC 2003

>Thank you! I just need more experience...
>
>Y.S.

Question for the original poster. Was the punctuation significant?
That is, were you asking about the use of _hi_ with a rising
intonation? Or were you asking about the use of _hi_ with any
intonation? I certainly use _hi_ as a greeting and I can imagine
using the rising intonation if I am not certain if I know the person
I am addressing, or if I think I might be interrupting.

Barbara Need
UofC--Linguistics