"Jazz" in the LATimes, 1912 & 1917; WORLD ON A PLATE (2003)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 6 00:37:41 UTC 2003

In a message dated 8/5/2003 12:34:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
george.thompson at NYU.EDU writes:

> The next step, if Barry hasn't already done this, is to look at all the
> database matches from before 1912, however little the context may seem to
> indicate an authentic match.  Then I ought to check all matches from 1912 through
> 1925, or at least those that seem likely to be true matches, to sort out the
> ones that refer to music, the ones that refer to baseball

   The next step for Barry is to go to the Library of Congress to check out
other Los Angeles newspapers.  This is a reply from the Library of Congress:

    Your Los Angeles Evening (microfilm #2940) for time frame of Jan.,
1911-Dec., 1912) is reserved for you at the Newspaper & Current Periodical Reading
Room, LM#133.
    Except LA Times, the Library of Congress does not own any other LA
newspaper for time frame of 1991-1913. .
    Good luck with your research.
K.P.
Reference Librarian
Newspaper and Current Periodical Room
Serial and Government Publications Division
Library of Congress

   The LOS ANGELES (EVENING) HERALD became the LOS ANGELES HERALD-EXAMINER.
The librarian didn't help me here (1911-1913 newspaper time frame), but it
appears that the LOC also has the LOS ANGELES EXAMINER:

LC Control Number:  sn 82014773
Type of Material:   Serial (Periodical, Newspaper, etc.)
Brief Description:  Los Angeles examiner.
Los Angeles, Calif. : W.R. Hearst, 1903-1962.
60 v. : ill. ; 62 cm.
Vol. 1, no. 1 (Dec. 12, 1903)-Jan. 7, 1962.
CALL NUMBER:    <A HREF="http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=CallNumber&SEQ=20030805202150&PID=13278&SA=Newspaper+7002">Newspaper 7002</A>

   So I'll have two newspapers to check against the LOS ANGELES TIMES.
   If anybody has any other suggestions/research requests, let me know.

   Today's NEW YORK SUN, pg. 16, reviews a book I'd already mentioned here.
It's Joel Denker's THE WORLD ON A PLATE: A TOUR THROUGH THE HISTORY OF
AMERICA'S ETHNIC CUISINES (2003).  Money paragraph:

   These small faults aside, this is a charming book.  It is a good antidote
to the mammoth encyclopedias of recent years, and is obviously written out of
appreciation.

  Ah, ahem, Mr. Sun man, uh--just what "mammoth encyclopedias of recent
years" have there been on American food and drink?  And why exactly would you need
an "antidote" for exhaustive, thorough, and original scholarship?