Slight antedating of Charley Horse(1886)

Sam Clements sclements at NEO.RR.COM
Wed Aug 6 04:47:06 UTC 2003

I can't get the current archives search engine to work tonight, but Barry
perhaps had the earliest cite of "Charley Horse" from  SPORTING LIFE, 29
September 1886, pg. 4, col. 6:     Which was titled "JOE QUINN is troubled
with "Charley-horse."

Using ancestry, the Atlanta Constitution from  August 29, 1886, p.12, col.
5, in a column titled "Diamond Dust" which was offering pithy snippets about
baseball, mainly the Southern League according to my reading, said:

"Sullivan, of Charleston, has the Charley Horse in his head."

This goes nowhere towards proving anything about Charley Radbourne.  It only
tends to confirm a possible baseball origin.

I searched ancestry one year at a time(the only way that seems to work) from
1880-1887, using both "Charley Horse" and "Charlie Horse."  This was the
only cite I found. I estimate that I found hundreds of false hits.  You have
no idea how painfully slow this search engine is, and how poor.  I feel
Barry's and, perhaps, Jonathan Green's pain.

Sam Clements

*If the current archive has something earlier, I'm gonna be pissed.