Holy Moley!; Tent Pole; Sancocho (1910)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 10 07:08:43 UTC 2003

HOLY MOLEY

   Maybe the guy just liked Mexican food.  The HDAS has Captain Marvel in
1949, but doesn't state this person's name.
   From this weekend's NEW YORK TIMES obituaries:

William Woolfolk, 86, Writer Behind Comic-Book Heroes, Dies
By ERIC P. NASH

William Woolfolk, a novelist, television writer and comic book author who
wrote stories for many popular wartime comic-book characters, including Captain
Marvel and Blackhawk, died on July 20 in Syracuse, where he lived. He was 86.
(...)
    Mr. Woolfolk did not create new characters, but said he coined one of the
most famous lines in comics: Captain Marvel's exclamation "Holy Moley!" "He
created that so Captain Marvel would have something to say when Captain Marvel
was particularly astonished," said Joanna Martine Woolfolk, his third wife.
They were divorced in 1999.

(Did she get half of "Holy Moley"?  Which half?--ed.)

TENT POLE

   From the Sunday NEW YORK POST, 10 August 2003, pg. 27, col. 2:

   It's easy to see how big movies--called "tent poles" in industry
parlance--can be big risks.  "You can't afford too many tent poles in a year," said
Jeff Sine, the global head media at UBS Warburg.

(Alt.usage.english discussed this in December 2001.  "Poles" have
"legs"--ed.)

SANCOCHO

UP THE ORINOCO AND DOWN THE MAGDALENA
by H. J. Mozans
New York and London: D. Appleton and Company
1910

Pg. 176:  The launch's commissariat consisted of a liberal supply of
_tasajo_--salt, dried beef--cassava bread, coffee, _panela_* and various kinds of
fruit.
*Also called _papelon_--cane-syrup boiled down, without being clarified, and
cast into molds.  The only kind of sugar obtainable here.

Pg. 182:  This was particularly the case when our food supply was running
short, or when we desired a change of diet, or (Pg. 183--ed.) something different
from _carne frita_ --fried beef that has been salted and dried--and
sancocho.*
*The national dish of Venezuela, also much esteemed in Colombia.  It is a
kind of ragout composed of meat and vegetables, or fish and vegetables, highly
seasoned with _aji_, or red pepper.

Pg. 216:  Here we dismounted for our midday meal, which consisted of a few
boiled eggs, and a cup of _cafe a la llanera_--that is, coffee without milk or
sweetening of any kind--_sin dulce_--as the natives phrase it--and some
crackers that we had in an improvised haversack.

Pg. 352:  A _tulpa_, consisting of three stones, served them in lieu of a
stove, and on this they broiled the fish caught in the river, or prepared their
_arepas_--corn cakes--or their _sancocho_, a kind of ragout, as popular in some
parts of Colombia as it is in Venezuela.

(Colombia?  Panama?  Ecuador?  Venezuela?  This national dish gets
around--ed.)