"Frankfurter roll" inventor dies (1904)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 11 06:09:06 UTC 2003

ICE CREAM CONE:  I saw that 1905 ATLANTA CONSTITUTION article, but didn't
type it up.  I'll post something when I find 1904 or earlier.
"FRANKFURTER ROLL" INVENTOR DIES (1904)

   For the benefit of anyone doing a "hot dog" book...I'm not claiming that
no one ate a sausage between two slices of bread before.  I merely reprint the
article.
   Notice that he died in 1904, just before the St. Louis World's
Fair--where, as everyone knows, the frankfurter roll and the ice cream cone were
invented.

   7 March 1904, FORT WAYNE NEWS (Fort Wayne, Indiana), pg. 1, col. 5:
      _Sandwich Inventor Dead._
   NEW YORK, March 7.--Ignatz Frischman, the inventor of the "Frankfurter
roll," sometimes called "All Lots," who introduced the famous sandwich at Coney
Island, is dead.  He noticed that the people had especial fondness for
frankfurter sandwiches.  He baked a lot of rolls of special size and induced the
frankfurter men to try them.  They became a success, and night lunch men all over
the country adopted the frankfurter roll.  For several years his (Last line
illegible--ed.)