use(d) to

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Wed Aug 13 19:23:27 UTC 2003

arnold writes:

>first, to clarify things a bit, there are two very different items
here.  one is a predicate adjective, and the "to" is a preposition
("I'm used to miso soup but not to sushi").  the other, the one we've
been talking about, is a verb, and the "to" is the infinitive marker
("I used to eat sushi").<
~~~~~~
I wasn't paying enough attention to what I was saying at the time... but
now believe that I also had an example of the pred. adj. + prepostiton +
subst. in " I am used to doing..."  Same would be true of "I'm used to
eating miso, &c."

OED does give a brief mention to "did use" and "(informal) did used".
I'll classify it in my mind henceforth under your description,"extremely
defective main verb."
AM

A&M Murie
N. Bangor NY