Okratini (1971); Cocktail Suit (1944); Sporting News on Paper of Record

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 21 17:43:09 UTC 2003

OKRATINI

   Larry once posted about this drink.
   I went through about 75 hits for "cocktail" and "inventor" or "invented."
There were no big surprises, but I did come up with the "Okratini" and the
"Cocktail Suit."

   18 March 1971, COSHOCTON TRIBUNE (Coshocton, Ohio), pg.7B, col. 5:
   In New York, a Tex-Mex restaurant has invented a cocktail called the
"okratini."  Essentially it's a martini, but is served with a pickled okra pod
instead of an olive.

COCKTAIL SUIT

   OED has 1950.

   13 July 1944, HERALD PRESS (St. Joseph, Michigan), pg. 16, col. 1:
   Jo Copeland, the designer who made the cocktail suit famous, shows the
bustle silhouette in various ways, as a black faille bow on a black crepe dress,
as a peplum flare at the back of a jacket, as a puffy satin bow on the skirt
of a cocktail suit.

   19 July 1947, BERKSHIRE EVENING EAGLE (Berkshire, Massachusetts), pg. 14,
col. 5:
   Jo Copeland prefers drapery to fullness in most of her skirts.  Hip swaths
and tricky wrapped skirt effects are prominent.  Several dresses have
fish-tail draperies down the centered skirt front.  One skirt, used on several
cocktail suits, features a draped front extended above the waistline belt to give
the effect of having just been pulled up into the folds.

   22 July 1948, BRIDGEPORT TELEGRAM (Bridgeport, Connecticut), pg.4, col. 4:
   Typical of the new mode is the collection of Jo Copeland, a designer who
never has gone to Paris for inspiration, believing that she knows better than
the French the needs of her countrywomen.  She uses opulent fabrics, unusual
trimmings, a slim, sleek line and a flatterinf back-swoosh in a series of
cocktail suits and dresses.

   11 July 1956, ZANESVILLE SIGNAL (Zanesville, Ohio), section one, pg. 7,
col. 3:
   It is from the Fall 1956 collection of Jo Copeland who invented the
cocktail suit.

SPORTING NEWS

   It looks like Paper of Record will do the entire run of SPORTING NEWS.
This is good news for sports historians.
   I just received the Paper of Record newsletter and saw there was a place
for questions and comments.

Subj:   RE: Sporting News, Sporting Life