1912 "jazz"--If not isolated, where is the evidence?

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sun Aug 24 23:05:59 UTC 2003

Well, I see the discussion is getting underway.

At 6:05 PM -0400 8/24/03, Dave Wilton wrote:
>Subject:      Re: 1912 "jazz (ball)"--further look at its coiner,
>               Benny Henderson
>
>. But given Henderson's usage, it seems likely that "jazz" was a
>term used by Pacific Coast League players c.1912.

There's simply no evidence for this in 1912. None.

>  (Note, "jazz ball" is
>isolated, "jazz" is not.)

"Jazz" *is* isolated in 1912. Outside of the April 2 and 3, 1912
mentions of "jazz/Jazzer/jass" we thus far have no mention of the
term anywhere.

>The only part of the Gleeson story that this seems to contradict is the part
>about Slattery learning the word at a craps game. And this may not even be a
>contradiction. Perhaps Slattery did hear the term used during a craps
>game--perhaps a game with other sportswriters and players. Or perhaps
>Gleeson just misremembered this detail.

It's not a detail. It's a key element of the story. And since
Gleeson's other 1938 information jibes in all important aspects with
the 1913 newspaper accounts, his credibility as a reliable source is
established.

>  Either way, we simply cannot dismiss
>a use of "jazz" by a Pacific Coast League player a year before Gleeson's use
>by simply saying it is an isolated example.

Yes, in fact we *can* dismiss it. There's no evidence that the term
was used outside of the April 2 and 3, 1912 context of the opening
game.

>So what do we have? "Jazz" began to be used by players in the PCL in 1912.

Players? In the plural?  Can you name one?

>The L.A. Times story of Henderson's "jazz ball" is the first known published
>use of the word. It is clear that the L.A. Times reporter was unfamiliar
>with the word, but it is unlikely that Henderson coined it.

Why unlikely? Remember, in spring training the reporters have their
eyes and ears peeled for anything interesting.  If a new term were
floating around,
reporters would be only too eager to add it to their stories.

>Henderson probably just used a term he had heard other players use.

Again, can you name even one?

>  The term remained in limited use in 1912 without anyone else taking
>notice of it

.Sportswriters, in daily contact with the players, didn't notice it?
Its use surely must have been *very* limited. Remember, the term
didn't refer to an actual pitch; it apparently sprang from the
exuberance of an opening-day assignment. Other than possibly
reminding Henderson ungraciously that this initial exuberance proved
unfounded, why would any other 1912 players have had occasion to use
the term "jazz"?

Gerald Cohen